Why do I have to wear my retainers after my teeth are straight?
- Your retainers are custom designed to maintain the stability of your new smile. After the teeth have moved, and the surrounding bone has stabilized, the gum tissue surrounding each tooth takes an additional 4-6 months to remodel and stabilize around the new position of our teeth.
- If the retainers aren’t worn consistently during this important window of time right after the braces are removed, the teeth will never be able to gain full stability, and are more likely to move back.
- Read more, from the American Association of Orthodontists.
- Video: Retainers Prevent Your Teeth From Becoming Crooked Again
How often do I have to wear my retainers?
- Typically we ask that you wear your retainers full time for the first 4-6 months, and then at nights thereafter.
- If you ever feel that your retainers are feeling a bit tighter, then go back to full-time wear until they become passive again.
- If your retainers aren’t in your mouth, ensure that they are in their proper case – not wrapped in a napkin, as this often results in lost retainers.