You may be asked to wear elastics about during the course of your orthodontic treatment. Read more about Elastics from the American Association of Orthodontists.
The elastics help us move your teeth into the correct position.
It’s very important that your elastics be worn all the time to be effective! It’s a bit like pushing a car up a hill- if you take a break the car rolls back down the hill and ends up at the bottom again – our teeth work in a similar way. Wearing them only 50% will not be effective. Consistency is key!
- Wear your elastics 24 hours a day & especially during sleep- unless instructed differently. You can take them off when you eat & brush your teeth.
- When you take your elastics off to eat or brush, put fresh ones on immediately after eating or brushing.
- You’ll feel some sensitivity the first few days. But with increased wear, the sensitivity will subside. However, if you aren’t consistent with your elastics the pain will last for a longer period of time & your teeth won’t move as efficiently.
- Carry your elastics with you at all times. It helps to keep a pack at home & carry one with you in your bag.
- Change your elastics at least 2x/day. Elastics become worn out. When they lose their elasticity, they don’t provide the proper pressure on your teeth and jaws. It is very important to change them as directed, even when they are not broken.
- If you run out of your elastics, call the office or come in right away and we’ll give you more. We can also mail you an additional supply of elastics.
- If you forget to insert your elastics one day, don’t double up the next day — just follow your regular instructions.
Use this diagram to record how you were instructed to wear your elastics: